- 1840: Preserve the Democracy (Advent of Public Schooling)
- 1890: Prepare Everyone for Vocations (Industrial Revolution)
- 1980: Keep America Competitive ("A Nation at Risk")
- 2000: Eliminate Poverty ("No Child Left Behind")
- Educational attainment predicts financial prosperity.
- Financial prosperity of parents predicts children's educational attainment.
- The most important predictor of educational attainment is the educational attainment of the parents.
(Dan Pink, Drive, pg 60 quoting a study by Dan Ariely et. al.)